Step 1: Profiling the ideal candidate
At Assured Bookkeeping Solutions, we believe that we have to know who the ‘perfect’ candidate will be before we can even think about advertising an employment opportunity. So, the starting point in our recruitment process is to agree the profile of our ‘perfect’ candidate. Why profile the ‘perfect’ candidate? If you don’t look for them, you won’t find them.
When defining the profile for your ideal candidate, I suggest that you consider the following:
- What technical skills must they possess?
- Do they need specific educational qualifications?
- Must they already hold professional qualifications or be currently studying for them?
- What type of personality traits must they have in order to fulfil the job as excellently as you demand?
- What type of person will fit well into your team?
- How much will they cost?
Your budget is of course a very important consideration when profiling. However, have you considered adding, say, 10% to the salary that you were thinking of giving, on the basis that the increased outlay will very soon have more than paid for itself through the benefits gained by a brilliant person being in the role?
Only now, once you have a good understanding of the make-up of your perfect candidate, are you in a position to start thinking about advertising your vacancy.